Monday, March 30, 2015

The Golden Boys

This Wednesday at the Barclays Center six of our young people will step into the ring to fight for the Golden Gloves championships. Elijah and I caught up with them in between rounds to ask a few questions about boxing and life...



Name: Nick Scaturchio
Weight Class: 108 Novice
Record: 8-3
What's your style? I can box or brawl. It depends on the other fighter.
What do you know about your opponent, and what's the game plan? He stands straight up and likes to throw a lot of lazy jabs. I'll use lots of head movement, jab my way inside and switch it up to the head and body.
What do you do when you're not boxing? A lot of schoolwork. I also like to study classic tapes of old fashioned fighters like Pernell Whitaker and Roberto Duran: I take things from them and put them in my style.
Who is your favorite fighter of all time? Arturo Gatti.
What is something surprising about you that not too many people know? I had an osteoid osteoma, which is a benign bone tumor. It took two years off my boxing career. Coming back after that was really hard and required a lot of physical therapy and strength training. It actually made me realize how strong I am.



Name:
 Bruce "Shu Shu" Carrington, Jr.
Weight Class: 123 Open
Record: 59-10
What's your style? Boxer/puncher
What do you know about your opponent, and what's the game plan? He's a southpaw. I heard he's pretty strong. He's not as fast as me, but he comes to fight and he's pretty tough. The first round I'm going to feel him out. The second round I'm going to turn up my aggression. The third I'm going to make sure I dominate.
What do you do when you're not boxing? Homework.
Who is your favorite fighter of all time? Floyd Mayweather
What is something surprising about you that not too many people know? I have a hidden anger inside of me.



Name:
 Alvaro "Chiquito" Roman Flores
Weight Class: 132 Novice
Record: 10-0
What's your style? Puncher
What do you know about your opponent, and what's the game plan? He's 26 years old from Queens. He's a boxer. Starting from the first round I'm going to put pressure and go to the body, mixing it up with uppercuts.
What do you do when you're not boxing? Listen to music. I don't really have free time. I'm always busy.
Who is your favorite fighter of all time? Juan Manuel Marquez. Everybody says I look and fight like Fernando Vargas and I agree.
What is something surprising about you that not too many people know? I'm really sensitive outside the gym. I'm not rough. I'm a woman lover.



Name:
 Richardson "Africa" Hitchins
Weight Class: 141 Open
Record: 60-12
What's your style? Boxer
What do you know about your opponent, and what's the game plan? He throws a lot of punches and he's sloppy. I'ma use my feet smart and box him.
What do you do when you're not boxing? School and boxing, that's it. And I play a lot of Fight Night.
Who is your favorite fighter of all time? Floyd Mayweather
What is something surprising about you that not too many people know? I don't know. All I know is boxing.



Name:
 Omar Salem
Weight Class: 152 Novice
Record: 10-2
What's your style? Boxer
What do you know about your opponent, and what's the game plan? He's big, strong, and keeps coming forward. I'm going to box him, counter him all the time, and keep my jab in his face. I got to be like Floyd.
What do you do when you're not boxing? I play ball. I love basketball.
Who is your favorite fighter of all time? Andre Ward
What is something surprising about you that not too many people know? I can dunk.



Name:
 Nkosi "Big Black" Solomon
Weight Class: Super heavyweight open
Record: Prefers not to answer
What's your style? Boxer/puncher. I fight like a big guy but I try to have the agility of a small guy.
What do you know about your opponent, and what's the game plan? All I know is that he has two arms, two legs, and a head and that I'm ready to go.
What do you do when you're not boxing? I hang with my friends and play video games with my nieces and nephews.
Who is your favorite fighter of all time? Of the recent era, Floyd Mayweather. Of all time, Sugar Ray Leonard.
What is something surprising about you that not too many people know? I'm shy. I may come off as a happy person, but that's just a front I put on. Not too many people know the real me.

No comments:

Post a Comment